Thursday, December 09, 2010

Transfer 三步驟: 社區學院二年級生請預備

If you are ready for transfer, do the following:

1) meet with an academic advisor and discuss universities you may wish to apply to as it relates to your academic major; they will ask you to narrow your choices to maybe 5-10 schools and then you have to get more focused on your goal universities;

2) talk to ISA staff and get some experience in a club or organization, such as our International Student Ambassadors, or something extracurricular, to make your application to the top universities more attractive;

3) do research about your transfer universities and be aware of their international student applications due dates.

Please understand that a community college is not limiting anything about the students success and will support and help the students to reach their academic and personal goals. The student must come in and use the resources to get the benefits of transfer assistance. As we all know, the top universities are often expensive but they are the most competitive and do not usually guarantee admission to anyone. Students must still apply and be accepted into their program of study. We can help the student as long as he comes in and talks to us - the International Student Affairs Office.

(Diane Viverito - Moraine Valley Community College)

Monday, December 06, 2010


Please know that most community college students transfer everywhere and anywhere they want to, and that the list of schools featured as 'Transfer agreements' does not in any way limit our students from transferring to other schools. For example, in the state of Illinois, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is our top state university and they just have a policy that they do not make the "Transfer Agreement' document with schools, although they are at the top of Moraine Valley community college most popular transfer schools, and students transfer there all the time.

The 'Transfer list' on MVCC website does is not meant to limit where students transfer to, they just make it easier. To explain further, you will not see out of state schools on that website. The reason for that is that we don't have Transfer agreements with out of state universities mainly because it is just a courtesy to community colleges and colleagues out of the state; it is just the practice of the schools, but it doesn't any way limit students from going to a different state. The 'Transfer agreement' makes it completely simple for students to transfer full two years of credit.


Students still apply with the same 'application process'. International students still must follow the procedures for application, whether the college has an agreement or not. Students successfully transfer anywhere, and they are all called "transfer applicants'....there is no difference except in the process the university uses to review the applicants course transcript. The top ranked (1-100) universities in the US will always review the applicants transcript anyway.....When any student has attended any US community college for more than one year and accumulated more than one year of university level credit, they are considered for Transfer admissions, rather than Freshman admissions. This is a benefit.

(Diane Viverito - Moraine Valley Community College)